Sharon's Amazing Chocolate Mousse
I worked for three years to arrive at what I think is a perfect formula; you be the judge.
- One 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu
- One 14-ounce package firm tofu
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or agave
- 10 ounces canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- One 9-ounce bag vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Simple Whipped Cream Topping (optional - recipe below)
In the bowl of a food processor place the tofu and salt and process until smooth. Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, and cacao powder and blend again until smooth. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Add the melted mixture to the food processor and thoroughly blend.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, using a spatula to scrape it all out. Using a hand mixer, whip the mixture at high speed for 3 to 5 minutes to lighten it and add more air. Spoon into serving cups or shallow crystal champagne glasses and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until cold. Garnish with a dollop of vegan whipped cream, if desired.
SERVES 15 TO 20, DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE SERVING CUPS
Simple Whipped Cream Topping
The secret is to use full-fat coconut milk, and it must be very cold.
- One 10-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to whip, remove the can from the refrigerator and gently turn it upside down, taking care not so shake it. Open the can and pour the separated liquid into a small container and set aside for use in any other dish, such as smoothies, soups, etc. It should be about 1/2 cup. Using a spatula, scoop out the solidified “cream” and place the cream, vanilla, and sugar in a small bowl and mix using a hand whisk or an electric mixer set on high speed until the topping looks fluffy, like whipped cream. Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, until the mixture is firm.